Contact Us For Help!

Let Me

Help You

Dedicated to protecting
your rights in

Family Law, Bankruptcy & Social
Security Disability.

See All Practice Areas


Grandparent Visitation Rights After Divorce

Divorce is one of the most difficult experiences that anyone can go through. The effects of divorce on a couple and their children are well documented. What may be less talked about is the impact that divorce has on the extended family. The parents and the siblings of each spouse often deal with their own senses of loss. If you add to this stress the fear that they will lose their relationships with their nieces, nephews or grandchildren, you can understand why these parties want to know if they have any legal rights to see the children they love. This becomes especially important when one parent is given sole physical custody of the child. What rights do the relatives of the other parent have to visit the child?

The rights of aunts, uncles and grandparents, also referred to in legal jargon as third parties, are limited. This is because there is a well recognized right of parents to decide what is in the best interest of their child. If the parents of the child do not arrange for visitation rights for other parties, the court is usually unlikely to do so. The laws that govern visitation issues vary from state to state, but most states will not even consider giving visitation rights to any third parties other than grandparents. Every state has some kind of grandparent visitation rights law.

Most states will allow grandparents to seek visitation rights when the grandchild’s parents are getting divorced or if their son or daughter has died. However, states do not allow other third parties to request visitation. Some states are less restrictive than others and will allow grandparents to request visitation even though there has not been divorce or death. Only a few states will give visitation to an individual other than a grandparent, and then only if that person is a close relative or a parent figure to the child.

Getting past the state statute is only the first step. If state law will allow a grandparent to be considered for visitation rights, the next step is for the court to determine if visitation is appropriate. This is done by establishing that visitation would be in the best interests of the child. Instead of focusing on what the parents would like, the court tries to place itself in the position of the child in order to determine what is best.

Even a court finding that visiting with grandparents would be in the child’s best interest does not guarantee visitation rights. Some courts have found that even though it may be in the child’s interest, they cannot justify interfering with the parental decision to deny visitation without special circumstances. Therefore, if the parents are fit parents, courts usually feel it should ultimately be up to the parents to decide who visits their child. The court does not want to substitute its own judgment for the judgment of adequate parents.

Although every state now recognizes that the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is one that deserves legal recognition, the level of protection the law gives to grandparents varies tremendously from state to state. Due to the long established principle of allowing parents to make vital decisions about what is in the best interests of their child, a grandparent seeking visitation rights will generally face an uphill battle. For many grandparents, mending relationships with the custodial parent is the best hope for maintaining a relationship with their grandchildren.

Copyright © 2011 FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main
View Archives

Email Our Firm

Office location

Gregory C. Starkey, Attorney at Law

2016 10th Ave South, Suite 101 Birmingham, AL 35205



See Map and Directions to our office
Birmingham Mens Law Firm LLC